View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #17
alexxander.foster

My Ride: 2000 323i
Ah! The pilot bearing! I've never heard it called the center bearing. Very interesting... man, that certainly would make servicing a hell of a lot easier. I had to get a stupid slide hammer to get mine out.

Anyway, just weighing in from memory, that might be a problem. The center hub on the Valeo flywheel is machined much more shallow than the stock dual mass flywheel hub. Its kind of hard to see from the pics but they machined it so it only sticks out just far enough to sit on the shoulder of the tail end of the crankshaft. If my memory serves me right, theres pretty much no more purchase left to press fit a bearing.

I presume you did the 6-speed swap. Would relocating the pilot bearing back into the crankshaft solve your problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
In 5-speed applications the center-bearing is actually located within the output of the crankshaft on the engine. There is a machined nipple on the end of the transmission input shaft that slips into the center-bearing. This keeps the transmission lined up with the engine to ensure vibration is reduced to a minimum. It also maintains alignment of the transmission and engine when the clutch is depressed otherwise the transmission input shaft would float.

In 6-speed applications BMW chose to press the center-bearing into the flywheel. It serves the same purpose but it's a little easier to service.
alexxander.foster is offline   Reply With Quote