View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJ View Post
I actually suggest the opposite.
I totally disagree. Especially with the cooling system, unless you've got a specific failure and not enough money to get back on the road, do it all at once. Each and every time you need to work on this system, you need to drain coolant, and refill and bleed the system. It's a pain, is messy, and gives you one thing that many here screw up (bleeding) to do that could cause even worse problems (a small leak could turn into an overheat because you bled it incorrectly). Do it once, and take your time. If you are new to working on cars, budget an entire day for that 2 hour job and then follow the Bentley guide and have a couple of different DIY write ups to refer to.

There are so many threads here where people just replaced "whatever" part and now it's even worse! Usually it was because they rushed it or forgot something, etc.

Take your time. Since the OP isn't experiencing a failure, why introduce one by picking and choosing one part to replace in the hopes it solves his issue? Working on cars, IME, is only hard if you fail to do your research and try and rush through a job because the "book says it should only take 2 hours." Take your time, be methodical, label things as you pull them, keep screws with the parts they go to, and read the manual!