View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #28
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Alex - Some good information here. Especially driving behavior notes.

Most (if not all) of the lightweight flywheels offer replaceable surface inserts, however I'm not sure they really offer that much benefit. They aren't really user servicealbe because they should be rebalanced when replaced. This means you need to send the flywheel away if you're replacing the surface during a clutch replacement, when time may be your worst enemy.

On the other hand you should be able to just take the Valeo single-mass down to the machine shop and have them resurface it. Simple, quick, and Local.

I contacted Valeo last evening. They're engaged; I received a response this morning. They haven't tested the flywheel to determine if it will accept a pilot bearing yet. I've asked them if they would test and get back to me.

For anyone interested in contacting Valeo directly here is their email address -> VT-CustomerService@Valeo.com

^ This picture shows the deep recess in the end of the crankshaft used for 5-speed applications.

^ This is a shot of the pilot-bearing installed in the flywheel for 6-speed applications. Not a Valeo but a competitors design.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///

Last edited by TitaniumCranium; 12-05-2012 at 02:26 AM. Reason: grammatical error
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote