View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #33
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxander.foster View Post
PROGRESS REPORT:

One big update has to do with the shift lever interaction. Something I noticed right away was the car didn't let me slide the shift lever into gear quite as easily as it use to. At first I thought I didn't top off the transmission fluid enough. Then I thought it was a cold weather condition. But after going under the car several times to verify things I realized that its related to the new clutch assembly and the gear chatter. The gear chatter is interfering with the synchromeshes. Now, before anyone gets upset by this, I have to say that I'm not exactly the best when it comes to rev matching. I've become quite lazy. So I'd be willing to bet if you're practicing good shifting technique and doing proper rev matching then this will resolve itself easily. However, if you're like me and you're lazy with rev matching then I wouldn't describe it as a major issue, just something that will take some getting use to. Effectively, you're going to have to start feeling out when the syncros match up instead of just presuming they already match up. If you don't I can imagine the synchros being wore out prematurely.

Alex, thanks for all of the info, it's great to have this kind of feedback for future customers!

I have to ask about this paragraph though, do you think this relates solely to the new flywheel/clutch assembly or could the additional effort be attributed to the short shift kit?

When you talk about the gear chatter, is it the sound you'd hear with a lightweight flywheel set up? Like a rattle at idle with your foot off of the clutch, or is it all RPM's/driving conditions? We have a 2003 530i here in house that we installed this kit on to replace a lightweight flywheel package. It actually eliminated the rattle and made the shifting nice and smooth, and that car still had a short shift kit installed.

Thanks

Ian

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter

Last edited by Ken@BavAuto; 12-05-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote