View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
BMWirris

My Ride: 2003 330i
Question Coolant/Heat Problems

Hey guys! I'm Will. I recently joined the site after buying my first BMW, 2003 330i 5 speed. Now, I must say I LOVE the car, but in the 6 weeks I've owned it, I've spent almost as much time with it in the shop as driving it, and with Oklahoma's consumer laws, there's nothing I can do about it, so, here's whats going on. I'm REALLY hoping someone has a few suggestions.

10 days after buying the car the coolant light comes on, and I have a 2"x 2" puddle of coolant under my car. Just to be on the safe side, I bring it to my mechanic, he refers me to a performance shop. The guy tells me water pump, so I get the water pump done. Great. 2 weeks later, coolant light again and although no puddle, I can smell the coolant every time I get out. Bring it back, he pressure tests it, can't get it to leak but replaces the radiator cap. I pick it up yesterday, drive away, and the heat doesn't work. According to the thermostat, the car is at normal operating temp. So I get on the highway, after 1/2 mile of ~70 mph the heat starts working, simultaneously my good ol coolant light comes on. If I stop for 20 seconds at a stoplight, my heat turns cold and the coolant light goes off. I start driving again, heat works and the coolant light is on again.
I won't even try to make a guess as to what it is, I've driven Nissans and Acura's for the 9 years I've had a driver's license. Help?
BMWirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.