View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #729
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Let's focus here, you wrote: BMW doesn't list "replace the entire cooling system when you feel like it" in their service booklet for a reason; you don't need to.
And I took issue with your conclusion, not with anything BMW ever did, said, or made. That BMW doesn't say something does not prove you don't need to do it. They don't say replace your VCG, but many do because they have a finite life whereupon they begin to leak. BMW does not say to replace your radiator hoses but many do because when they get up in age, they will burst. They don't say to replace your DISA valve, but it is advisable because in some instances they fall apart and the steel pin falls into the valves.
So need is a matter of individual choice, not for you to say it's never valid to interpret things that way. Tell the owner whose car warps a head that he didn't need to replace cooling system parts. If you don't want to do anything prophylactically, so be it, but no one knows which cars needs this care in advance.
I think if BMW doesn't say to do anything, it's pretty good reason not to do anything. If you decide to go against a manufacturer of any product, you better have some pretty good evidence to prove otherwise, and not just theories and guesses.

I don't think it needs to be written down that a visibly failed part needs to be replaced, so your leaking valve cover gasket example is pretty poor. Unless you are talking about replacing it just because you feel like it, in which case that is just silly.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote