View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #29
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
That blade cuts both ways.

Movies, TV, art, music, politics - all accepted means of promoting Christians.

Movies, TV, art, music, politics - all accepted means of evangelizing to non-Christians.

You can't run around telling everyone that your god is the one true god and if you dont accept that you'll be tortured for all eternity and then freak out when people who disagee do so publically and adamantly.

I agree that there shouldn't be different standards for criticism of any religion, but such is the modern state of things between the majority and various minorities. Maybe it's payback for the centuries when the opposite was true.

The govt should not be endorsing any religion.

1 - There is no need to use public spaces/resources to display religious materials. Those materials should be displayed at religious sites or private spaces.

2 - It's not practical to allow equal access to all religious views. Public spaces would be constantly used for the stuff, and some views would inevitably be marginalized because of the small number of their believers.

3 - The govt will inevitably be put in the position of judging the appropriateness of a religious view. Call it the Satan test. When Devil worshippers want to put up a display promoting sin, decadence and evil, will it be embraced and given the same treatment as everyone else? Or will they be treated differently based on the content of their message?

Minimizing govt involvement with religion is in everyone's best interest, especially the religions themselves.
The government doesn't endorse any religion. The government serves the will of the people. If the "people" want to put a christmas tree in a public area, they have the right. If they want a menorah, they have the right. Again, I am Jewish, and do not associate a christmas tree or the word christmas with a religion. It is just a commercial American holiday. THe majority of American people, irrespective of their religion like christmas and want christmas trees and such. The will of the people (the majority) must be respected.