View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #34
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I was under the impression that it is nothing more than software. traction control on all cars is essentially the same. Computer tied to the brakes. The programming of the system is what's different. In BMW/Ferrari/Porsche, etc terms, dynamic means the system can have "levels" of intervention. On Ferraris, the software has 5 programs, (Race, Sport, Snow, etc.) Each one will let you get into a little more trouble before stepping in. Cars like Camry's have a "single program" system that is either ON or OFF.

With the exception of M cars, I was not aware BMW offered this on their regular models. I always thought it was also ON or OFF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post

actually a lot of traction control systems are tied to throttle and will close it off if you lose traction.
On the non-M E46 you have half off, where I believe it just the stability control off and leaves higher intervention traction control on.

But for example in E36s the traction control is controlled by an extra "throttle body" that shuts to "reduce slippage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Traction control only affects the drive wheels. Stability control incoporates braking (including non drive wheels)

More complicated stability control programs will change suspension settings as well.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
Of all the things NFR mentioned, large is the only thing I disagree with. It's a trade off though... momentum works both ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 View Post
An e46
E39 (post 2000) or E46. A 325, 330, 525, 528, or 530 all will offer DSC, HPS and loads of safety. If it's automatic they aren't really quick at all either.

If it's a 528 make sure it's a 2000, otherwise it'll just have the awful ASC (traction control) like the E36.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote