View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #40
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Here is the issue. We have religious TRADITIONS in this country that are getting swept under the rug by secularists.
While I agree that we have religious time honored traditions in this country - mostly Christian, where I don't agree is that the Govt should not be seen as promoting one or the other. Can you imagine the uproar if, for example, they put a Crescent Moon (or other Islamic symbol) on a US Govt building to celebrate an Islamic holiday? The bible belt in this country would flip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI
This is an attack on Christianity regardless of what Stewart or other pundits would have you believe. The goal is to remove religion from the public eye.. unless of course you're of a faith OTHER than Christian in which you're protected by this notion of "freedom of religion"...
Really? Because I certainly don't see any holy wars or crusades on going in my neighborhood. I think this "war on Christianity" is an alarmist and cry wolf tactic by far leaning conservatives as another means to further their agenda and promote intolerance.

Also, I find it sad to see politicians (recent example is Romney) touting Christian religious principles to score political points to connect with voters. So I think it's the other way around where you have a lot of places in this country that fear "the Muslims, the Jews, etc" b/c the idea is foreign to them. You even have people in this country saying "Get that Muslim President out of office...we're a Christian nation" - more or less. Even Barack's middle name, Hussein, was alien sounding to some Americans and they used it as a platform to voice their opinions against him.

Another example is the Sikh killings in Wisconsin. They were targeted by white extremists who carry the same fear. Except they were too stupid and ignorant that they didn't realize that being a Sikh is not the same thing as being a Muslim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Our nation was founded by Christian men who integrated religious practices into much of the tenants of law and legal practices...
Some were Christian, other founding fathers were Deists, or had Deist influence such as Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Cornelius Harnett, Gouverneur Morris, Hugh Williamson, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and Ethan Allen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI
The "attack on christianity" doesn't bug me.. but what does is this notion that the minority groups (whether it's muslims, blacks, jews, whatever) can get away with just about any negativity towards the majorities (whites, catholics, etc) and the majority groups are just supposed to sit back and take it (affirmative action for example).
Aren't whites in this country slowly becoming the minority? Secondly, you don't think it's mostly the other way around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
There's a difference between "swept under the rug" and "swept out of public spaces that need to be kept religion-free to the greatest extent possible"..
This

Last edited by MDydinanM; 12-10-2012 at 07:15 PM.
MDydinanM is online now   Reply With Quote