View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #42
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Here is the issue. We have religious TRADITIONS in this country that are getting swept under the rug by secularists.
Swept under the rug by whom? Have you walked into a store lately? They had xmas stuff out before halloween. The airwaves and internet are chock full of xmas campaigns.

Quote:
Our nation was founded by Christian men who integrated religious practices into much of the tenants of law and legal practices
Actually quite the reverse. The tenants of law and legal practices came about through "pagan" sources (can you say greece and rome?)

Quote:
Now that we have established that religion WAS accepted by our founding fathers and early politicians, let's look at the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s... Christmas became a national event. Everywhere you went, christmas trees lined stores, merry christmas became a common saying from storekeepers, etc... It was a great way for the NATION to come together regardless of religion. Everyone acted just a little happier and looked out for one another just a bit more. Groups like Salvation Army would have their workers dressed as santa asking for donations to further aid to those who needed it.
I won't speak for the 50's and 60's. But, the 70's and 80's christmas was passe. (It was then that it got its label of xmas, much to the fury of christian leaders). The NATION didn't come together. Families came together for more misery in one month than they had the other eleven. "merry christmas" from shopkeepers and christmas tree lined stores went out of favor not by some "war on christmas" but because the country became more religiously diverse. There were more people of more faiths and a growing number of atheists and agnostics. The shopkeepers turned the merry christmas volume knob down and sales went up. Because "happy holidays" was more inclusive to their customers. Everyone may have "acted" happier, that doesn't mean they were. It was just that, an act. As people became less concerned with "keeping up appearances" of the June Cleaver life, the facade slid. You assume that people are always truthful about what they say and do, especially in public. You know darn well that is a false assumption.

Quote:
And now today? My mother can't have a crucifix, tree, or santa on her desk out of fear that a student might complain that he feels discriminated against. Somehow merry christmas is offensive to those who don't believe in Christianity.. Ironically, jewish public schools teachers get away with menorah's in their classroom as that is somehow less offensive.. or is it really just that people don't feel the ability to openly attack Jews as they are a smaller chunk?
I will grant you that is unfair. If a crucifix is banned and menorah needs to be treated the same way. But, I grant you I may be the minority. I fought for the removal of all religious symbols, christian or otherwise, when I was in school in the 70's and early 80's.

Quote:
This is an attack on Christianity regardless of what Stewart or other pundits would have you believe. The goal is to remove religion from the public eye.. unless of course you're of a faith OTHER than Christian in which you're protected by this notion of "freedom of religion"...
Not from the public eye. Who has proclaimed that churches need to remove their signage? There is a difference between the public eye and the use of public space. But, I have certainly seen plenty of christians who love having their persecution complexes. I guess it makes them feel more like their alleged savior or the so-called apostles.

Quote:
The "attack on christianity" doesn't bug me.. but what does is this notion that the minority groups (whether it's muslims, blacks, jews, whatever) can get away with just about any negativity towards the majorities (whites, catholics, etc) and the majority groups are just supposed to sit back and take it (affirmative action for example).
So what you are saying is that it sucks and is unfair when you are discriminated against. Well, to the "majorities (whites, catholics, etc) and the majority groups" out there, I can only say this. Payback is a b!tch.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote