View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
I am sure you don't. But, I am equally sure you don't know are refuse to admit labor history in a post industrial revolutionary America. Without worker rights, corporations would have no reason, as it is an increase in cost which you admitted yourself, to make conditions better. It just reduces their profits.
Yup, industrial revolution-era America needed unions to keep businesses honest, because it was nearly impossible to find steady work in a city in anything but a factory, and your options for work outside a city were more or less limited to farming. If you didn't already own a farm, or had just sold one, you most likely weren't going to have the spare cash to buy a large chunk of land, plus seed and equipment to start one, or be able to wait around to see the cash flow for several months.

Today, you can travel from one end of the country to the other in less than a day, you can hunt for jobs worldwide without leaving your home, and you can be paid directly into a bank account in US dollars without ever stepping foot inside an office.

People have far more varied choices in how and where to work that if a major manufacturer suddenly decided to pay salaried minimum wage with zero benefits, they'd see all their employees leave.

Workers don't need to pay a union boss every month to protect them anymore.

I completely respect the right of workers to organize themselves to keep the best possible working conditions for themselves, but a worker should not be forced to pay money to belong to the organization if they don't want to be a part of it.

And again, if these unions are so great and relevant today, then workers having the choice to join or not should be zero threat to them.

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 12-11-2012 at 11:40 AM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote