View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #63
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Here is my take on it...

1) Government funds in ANY WAY (including labor to put up the decorations are not allowed to be used) with the EXCEPTION of christmas trees/christmas decorations. Christmas is a federal holiday and an institution in this country. Hell, the white house has 13 trees. The nativity scenes are to be put up by a local church or school, or whatever, with privately raised funds.

2) Decorations are not to be discriminated against based on religion, but a matter or taste. A lamb dangling bleeding from the neck, a pentagram on fire with devil eyes, or Priapus are inappropriate in terms of taste, not religion.

3) Any group can use the public space for their displays. This is my problem. The atheists are acting like fascists. They don't want to put their own stuff up, they are just saying "we don't like this so you cant have it." Are they trying to put up a festivus pole and are denied? If they wanted to put up a giant lit up "A" for a fake holiday they created, they should have the right, since they are also tax paying citizens and the government is here to serve them just as much as it is to serve the christians and the jews. However, this is not the case. I would agree that if a large enough group (I guess a nationally recognized would be a start) wants to put up peaceful and tasteful decorations for their holiday, they should be allowed to.

Again, I'm a jew and have a 10' tall tree in my house. Why? Because I like the way it looks and smells, nothing to do with Jesus.
Next thing you know, in terms of tastelessness, someone's going to want some scene of an illegitimate, naked baby born to some poverty stricken, homeless, unwed teenage mother (obviously one of those shiftless 47%ers) languishing in some animal pen. Or worse, the half-naked, defiled corpse of some itinerant preacher nailed to some wood planks. I mean, really, how tasteless can we get here? Do I have to expose my kid to this? What government committee reviewed and approved this? Standards definitely need tightening.

In other words, careful about evoking the "public taste" or similar arguments might leave you on a thin plank in this discussion. Christianity has plenty of "tasteless" aspects to it too.

Last edited by Rhumb; 12-13-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote