View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
tatboy

My Ride: '02 BMW 325ci
Power steering issues

Yes if you can pull out the shaft from the power steering pump (even just 1/4"), then the shaft has broken inside and the entire pump needs to be replaced.

I just did the job on my 325ci and picked up an OE Replacement pump from http://www.************** for just $115. And yes, it's the 30 pump versus the old 20 pump. If you presently have the 20 on your vehicle, you will need to purchase the newer replacement hoses to adapt to the 30. If you have an '04 then you should have the 30 model pump anyway.

The pump I purchased replaces OE number: 32416756582

You should also purchase the Power Steering Reservoir

It replaces OE number: 32411097164 and costs a mere $20.76

There is a filter in there that cannot be REMOVED for cleaning, but if your really cheap, you CAN unscrew it so it flops around while spraying some Carb cleaner in there and letting it soak a bit, then screw it back in. It's not a paper filter, but rather a very fine plastic mesh. For $20, I just replaced mine.

My issues with hard steering at certain intervals (while car is parked or driving very slow), were NOT remedied by my replacing both the Power Steering pump and reservoir earlier today.

I watched a video on yotube that stated there should be fluid circulating within the power steering reservoir, if the pump is functioning properly. My reservoir showed no circulation, even after emptying it half way and looking deeply. Now, I just installed a BRAND NEW power steering pump, yet there's no circulation and my steering is super hard and appears to have high and low spots when turning. I also started scratching my head thinking maybe one of the hydraulic lines may be blocked???? But i dont have an air compressor to blow out the lines, and even if they were blocked by some foreign matter, that matter would probably lodge into the rack itself (if it hasnt already)

I'm suspecting a pinion or rack gear failure so after searching the internet and seeing that a new rack for my vehicle goes from $1200 (for a genuine OEM) down to $300 (for a rebuilt one), I decided to just order one from my local advance automotive for $249 (rebuilt) and it should be here in a few days. And i dont have to deal with packaging up and mailing back the core to some company then waiting weeks for my core charge refund etc.

Well, let us know how you made out!

Hope some of what i wrote assisted you_nr_
tatboy is offline   Reply With Quote