View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
I too am in this boat my bimmer is using oil at the same exact rate every +/- 700 miles I'm adding a quart of oil. I religiously change my oil every 7,500 miles, this problem didn't exist with my M52TUB25 block. My old block never lost an ounce of oil in over 330,000 miles. At 330,000 after a spun bearing I upgraded the block to an M54B30 block, crank shaft and injectors and a new oil consumption issue. I've done the leak down test, compression tests as well as vacuum leak test and they all came back negative. I've changed the VCG and oil housing filter. I beginning to believe the M54 motor just burns oil more oil than any other BMW motor; I just don't know why... I'm currently just over 338,700 miles. I currently keep at least three quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40 in my car at all times.
More power to you for investing in a new engine in a chassis with 330K on the odometer!
I assume you meant you replaced the oil filter housing gasket?

And not true about the M54 engine. I bought my car new and broke it in like an old man. Change oil every 7500 and last typical change at 9000 miles showed the oil level down only a few ounces without any oil added between changes.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote