View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #40
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
You're confused in terminology.

Assault rifles, by definition, are capable of either fully automatic or burst fire (i.e. you pull the trigger and three bullets come out). What was used in CT was, by the definition of anyone familiar with guns, not an assault rifle. Perhaps what you mean is the term "assault weapon," which is a made-up term by a bunch of people with no knowledge of firearms and was used in a piece of legislation in the 90s that literally made as much sense as white-only drinking fountains.

What you seem to be arguing against are all semi-automatic rifles. From a functional standpoint, the AR-15 used in CT is no different than the average wood-grain hunting rifle that some fat redneck is currently holding in the woods as he waits for a deer or other animal to come along.

So is your argument against all semi-automatic (i.e. one pull of the trigger = one bullet comes out) rifles or only against the ones that are black and military-looking?

I have a hard time believing this gun

is more dangerous than this gun

simply because it's black, when they are functionally and ballistically similar.

Let's also consider that the shooter wore all black gear, though he did not attack at night. Did the black garb he wore enhance his attack at all? Perhaps aesthetically (people wearing all black tactical gear are visually scarier than people wearing linen suits, for example), but I would argue that he would've been equally as effective (I hate using such a callous term, but that's what it is) if he had been wearing a linen suit. Does this mean we should ban black clothing because it's the preferred garb of violent deranged people?

Now, I'll readily admit that I'm a gun owner who will carry a concealed weapon if it ever becomes legal in my state, and I will also readily admit that I have certain reservations about guns and CCW permits. And I would be happy to discuss those reservations with anyone who has a reasonable knowledge of firearms.

What I will not engage in, is a discussion that is equally ignorant to assuming all black youths in baggy jeans and hoodies are dangerous because of the way they look.
Well said. The hypocrisy reminds me of the FDA.