View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #76
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black///M View Post
When I was in Japan about 10 years ago a guy with a knife went into a school and killed 10-17 kids. An instrument or tool is not the problem, but the insane individual that is willing to cause harm to children with whatever he/she can find is. There are other means besides guns that can cause harm.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/...ack/index.html
FYI, the link you posted is to an article about an attack in China (not Japan) where 22 kids were wounded (none killed, never mind 10-17).

Your point may be valid, but you'll be taken more seriously if your statement matches the source you cite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Not at all. You're a lemming because you willingly and graciously will give up freedoms without nary a fight.
The Po and I don't always see eye to eye, but I think you're missing the truth in his statement.

Existence in a society such as ours is the art of compromise between individuals' freedoms, and between the freedoms of an individual vs a smoothly functioning society.

You have freedom of speech, and it's almost absolute. But you cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater, you can't threaten to kill people, you can't slander people. Well, you can, but there are legal consequences because such acts are likely to land your ass in jail.

Your freedom of speech is limited in order to allow society to function better. My freedom to not be trampled to death in a crowded movie theater overrides your freedom to say "fire".

IHMO, that's the point Po was trying to make.
If we close our eyes, we'll maybe realize there's more to life than what we have known.
And I can't believe I've spent so long living lies I know were wrong inside,
I've just begun to see the light.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote