View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #741
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Why does this sticky tell people to replace certain parts blindly or based on mileage instead of doing a proper diagnosis? Like belts, bearings, and thermostats for example? It's a pretty wasteful use of money and time prematurely replacing those parts...
Not sure how I missed this comment. How is preventing a catastrophic overheat by spending $500 every 5 years or 60,000 miles a waste of money?

E46=$10,000
Cooling refresh=$500
Reliable transportation=$10,500

Is that a seriously hard concept to comprehend? This isn't your typical V-configuration engine--these engines are particularly vulnerable to permanent damage once overheated. All it takes is one leaking part or a frayed belt to ruin your day.

Are you not aware of all the overheating threads we get on a daily basis?

Ever notice the people that properly maintain their cooling systems never post such cooling failure threads?

If you can't afford the $500 on top of the money you spent to buy your car, you shouldn't be driving one. Period.

Again, people against this can choose what to do with their cars. You can sit there and diagnose all day long, repair one part at a time. I've been there and done that. I know what it takes and this is why this thread exists.

The information provided in this thread is for those that will use it properly. And given the thousands of positive responses, it seems to sit quite well with people.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote