Thread: Cop Talk
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #5545
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Whats the rule for peds in crosswalks, specifically when making a right or left turn, does the car need to wait for the ped to completely cross the street, or only needs to wait til ped has crossed the side of the street the car will be turning into? Does a median matter?

This is prly easily googled, but figure CA cops might know w/o looking.

21950(a) says, "The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter."

When I read this section, I interpret it to mean that you must stop and let the pedestrian cross, regardless of where they are within the marked/unmarked crosswalk.

However, 21950(c) says, "The driver of a vehicle approaching a pedestrian within any marked or unmarked crosswalk shall exercise all due care and shall reduce the speed of the vehicle or take any other action relating to the operation of the vehicle as necessary to safeguard the safety of the pedestrian."

To me this reads that as long as the pedestrian is safe, i.e. he just entered a major intersection and he's 8 lanes away, you're probably fine.

Just remember, you'll never get a ticket for stopping and letting the pedestrian cross.