View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #41
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I'm a manual die hard, but with a more luxury oriented car like the F10, I'd probably go with an automatic. A manual in that kind of car just isn't as enjoyable as in a smaller, more raw car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uninc4709 View Post
I feel like the ability to drive a manual is what creates a good driver. If i was in my '91 325is and someone pulled up next to me in a new M5 with an automatic transmission I would honestly look down upon them and find them arrogant and using money to help them feel fast. Granted I'm sure anyone buying an M5 knows how to drive a car but I feel if you get rid of manual transmissions altogether you get rid of the thrill factor of knowing you nailed that shift. having a manual in a race car may actually make the racing much more competitive as it adds that one more skill to set the field apart.

My 2 cents, however I know I wont ever purchase an "enthusiasts" car or "the ultimate driving machine" without a manual transmission. takes out the thrill factor and disconnects you from the car.

You really shouldn't pass judgment until you drive one yourself. While I haven't driven the M5, the F10 itself just doesn't feel suited to a manual to me. It's too big, heavy, and isolated. If that's the car I'm going to go for, then I may as well go all the way and get the damn auto.

Such a car probably would not be the only car I own either. Money being no object, I'd go for something like a 550iA or M5 DCT as a daily driver, and a Z4M (or similar) as a weekend car.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 12-23-2012 at 04:44 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote