View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
wrbusa

My Ride: 2000 328i
Misfire fixed with moly!

I know this thread is pretty old, but I thought I'd follow up with some news. The misfires were pretty predictable, and only were happening in colder weather. Also, as long as I didn't get stuck at a light during the warm up period, I wouldn't have any troubles for the rest of the day...

In the past couple years, I've tried, no joke, all of the different 'solutions' for a cold misfire, with no real improvement. Frankly, I didn't want to believe the scored lifter diagnosis.

Fast forward to this winter, and the misfire started happening more and more often and I'd have to sometimes restart the engine 2 or 3 times... not totally unlivable, but bothersome. Pricing out cam ledges ($400!), this repair would cost me a minimum of $500 if it was only one side (intake/exhaust on one cylinder) and doing the work myself, but could go upwards of $1500 with replacement of all lifters while I'm in there.... yeah

So options are 1) live with it or 2) trade it in. One thing I know is that car payments suck

So I'm talking to a friend of mine, and he runs Schaeffer oil in his e34 and he says it completely eliminated his lifter tick. He tells me it's loaded with molybdenum. I've heard of that stuff before! so I run out to NAPA and grab a bottle of this for $7: It's almost pure moly in liquid form, and it's gotten some decent reviews on the internet. I usually will not put anything other than M1 0w-40 oil in my crankcase, but I'm desperate... I added 1/2 the bottle, with the logic that I didn't want to mess up the additive package already in the oil.

What do you know? it took about 2 days before there was a real noticeable difference, but since adding it I've had no more misfires!! Now, it's been 2 weeks in some of the coldest weather of the year, and it's still idling like it's supposed to! I read this stuff stays in your engine, so you really only need it every other oil change. 1/2 bottle every oil change is still pretty manageable. I may try the Schaeffer oil my buddy uses next, to see if it's worth switching to from M1. One thing's for sure, our e85 z4 is getting the other half of this bottle and I'm sending my brother a case for his m3, just as preventative measures.

tl;dr I think Lubro Moly MOS2 cured my cold engine misfires!!
wrbusa is offline   Reply With Quote