View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
tatboy

My Ride: '02 BMW 325ci
My rack & pinion install and some minor tips.

This is my first time posting photos, so forgive me if they do not enlarge, etc. I uploaded them at 800x600 (which is pretty big) but for some reason they dont appear to be enlargable

My vehicle is a 2002 325ci with approximately 92k miles

Old Rack & Pinion prior to removal. Notice the BRAND NEW LF30 power steering pump on right side of photo below the cleaner black pulley

Old Rack next to new replacement

New Rack with outer tie rods connected. Remember, the new rack (replacement) needs to be PERFECTLY centered/aligned prior to fitting it's upper shaft into the steering column's intermediate coupler (guibo). And the steering wheel needs to be in it's LOCKED and perfectly straightened position.

New Rack , re-using high pressure line from LF30 pump to rack (still good, no leaks)

Rack pinion shaft about to connect with steering guibo on steering column

Rack connected to steering guibo coupler but image shows "pinch bolt" on wrong side. I later fixed this - lol

Rack shaft properly lined up and connected to steering column "intermediate coupler" AKA "guibo"

Outer tie rod being connected

Go here to see the entire thread of the power steering issues I was having, and what the END result was.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=961701

You're gonna laugh

Last edited by tatboy; 12-26-2012 at 01:31 AM.
tatboy is offline   Reply With Quote