View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
I'm probably going to catch a LOT of flak for this. My theory, being one, is that engineering is a personality trait as much as it is a career. If you spent your early childhood years interested (no, obsessed) with learning how things work, and are more interested in things than people, you are probably an engineer.

I majored in mechanical engineering because it was honestly the only thing I felt I could pass in college. I struggled through the calculus, chemistry, political science, but really enjoyed the mechanical classes. If you are an engineer, you probably know it. Not many people would struggle through college and then put up with the boring activities (boring to non-engineers) for the well-but not highly paid salary of an engineer.

In other words, don't do it for the money.

A lot of mechanics are engineers who didn't pursue the education. I respect them because they can figure things out based on what they have learned, and draw logical conclusions.

If you are an engineer, you should pursue the education. I loved cars when I was in college. I still do. However, I design and troubleshoot HVAC, plumbing, and piping systems for hospitals and other commercial buildings. I love what I do, and still work on cars.

Do what you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.
Personality trait indeed.
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote