View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #566
rgyarbro

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
2004 BMW 325i Sedan USA

Fellas,

I'm pretty certain the fuel pump on my son's 2004 BMW 325i sedan USA (109,000 miles) has failed; fortunately, while parked in my my driveway.

Before I replace the fuel pump, I just want to check a few things.

The car cranks strongly, but will not start. With a quick spray of starter fluid in the intake, the car runs for a second or two. I have removed the rear seat and rubber cover. The fuel pump makes no sound at all, regardless of key position (off, on, start). My voltage meter reads 7-8 volts on two of the four contacts at the connector; again, regardless of key position (off, on, start). I believe the fuel pump experienced what has been referred to in this thread as a "soft failure". The car was cutting out when accelerating at RPMs above 3,000.

I plan to replace the fuel pump in any case. However, I'm wondering if the fuel pump has actually failed or whether it might be the fuel pump relay or something else. So my questions are:

1) Where is the fuel pump relay located on the 2004 BMW 325i sedan (USA model with M54 engine)?

2) What is the correct voltage levels on each of the pins on the fuel pump connector, give the key position?

Thanks to all for contributing to this forum, especially jfoj for his informative posts.
rgyarbro is offline   Reply With Quote