View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #207
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post

Again though, I think these examples are at best tangential to our own Second Amendment discussions and don't inform them directly. I think this just sort of feeds into the romanticized, mythical ideal of the individual armed minuteman standing athwart of some malevolent external force with his musket, errr, M-16, though that "external" force is often defined as our own, Constitutionally-based government elected by us (irony?).
I think reasonable people can agree to disagree about whether or not it's a "romanticized, mythical ideal." It can be argued that part of the reason our "own, Constitutionally-based government elected by us" continues to respect the people is that it knows that it would have a hell of a fight on its hands if it decided to unilaterally strip people of their rights (from both the left and the right).

Having spent quite a bit of time with politicians over the years, I can say without a doubt that there are many, many politicians in power right now who would think nothing of stripping people of various rights (of all kinds) if they thought they could get away with it. Our governments, on all levels, are full of people who think of themselves as benevolent paternalists but who are really just power freaks.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote