View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #58
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkeiS2K View Post
I am trying to break into a software engineering role, so I am an engineer in the sense that I "design and develop things," but everyone knows that software engineers are not considered as real engineers lol.
Software Engineering is a misnoma. Developing software is not engineering in any sense of the word. I worked for Otis Elevator for 13 years and worked my way up from the drawing board to the R&D Engineering department designing and testing elevator equipment as a Design Engineer. Mechanical Engineering, of course. In the run up towards the end of my time at Otis I was involved in developing CAD systems for the drawing office. This engaged some Pascal programming skills that I learned as part of my degree course.

Redundancy, and a collapse of the manufacturing sector in the UK, saw me leaving and going in a completely different direction. I got a job as a junior COBOL programmer in a corporate bank. I eventually left the bank 13 years ago and have been in the software business ever since. Currently developing web and desktop systems built around Microsoft's .Net Framework. Object Orientated, of course, using C# language. There have been a few other languages along the way: Perl, BASIC, Visual Basic, VBScript Java, JavaScript. They come and go. Its been a nightmare trying to keep up.

But its not just about programming. Systems architecture and database modelling are a huge part of the solution. You need to understand these things as well.

So it is doable. Just don't expect any aspect of your engineering background to be of any use to you. Its a new world entirely.

Last edited by RayPooley; 12-28-2012 at 12:42 PM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote