View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #229
Master Po

My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I think reasonable people can agree to disagree about whether or not it's a "romanticized, mythical ideal." It can be argued that part of the reason our "own, Constitutionally-based government elected by us" continues to respect the people is that it knows that it would have a hell of a fight on its hands if it decided to unilaterally strip people of their rights (from both the left and the right).

Having spent quite a bit of time with politicians over the years, I can say without a doubt that there are many, many politicians in power right now who would think nothing of stripping people of various rights (of all kinds) if they thought they could get away with it. Our governments, on all levels, are full of people who think of themselves as benevolent paternalists but who are really just power freaks.
I agree with what you said above. I'm not naive enough to trust politicians blindly.
But what you said has nothing to do with guns.
The way to defend ourselves against politicians trying to take our rights away is via peaceful protests/demonstrations and at the voting boths.
Not branding guns.