View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
NICKBRUM

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenj10 View Post
One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't make a noise when travelling at highway speeds in 6th gear. It only seems to be around town in 1st through 4th gears. And the sound occurs when I'm already in gear, coasting, and then re-applying the gas.
That is because the car is putting out very little torque in 6th at HWY speed. Our cars have suffered from weak diff mounting bolts and BMW, superseded to different bolts to correct the problem. There are three diff bushings, which these bolts run through. Two of them are toward the top on the rear cover, and are the bolts that tent to shear. There is one going horizontally in the front center. The bushing are a good robust design, so unless your up around 100k miles it would not be my first suspicion. Also while under there its good to look for subframe mount cracks. The most common and visible will be at the rear drivers side mount. You need to clean the area real well, grime and undercoating will conceal smaller cracks.

Edit- You will want to remove one at a time, so your diif stays in place. You need to look at this before driving any more, its a possible safety hazzard!!!

|Carbon Fiber Intake|AA GEN3|AC Strut Brace|Eibach/Koni's|CSL/SMG Flash|
|Victory UDP's|HPF Sub Frame Plates| PF Subframe Bushings|Rtab Limiters|PFC DD Front Rotors|

Last edited by NICKBRUM; 12-29-2012 at 02:41 PM.
NICKBRUM is offline   Reply With Quote