View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I've got no problem with actors spouting off about pervasive violence.

What bugs me is that they making millions of dollars creating media that glorifies it, and in the same breath make a commercial condemning it.

If Hollywood wants to talk to us about how terrible our culture of violence is, they need to start with the man in the mirror.
The problem is that actors aren't special people - they aren't policy makers or legislators or real leaders. We see them in the movies and our brains are tricked into thinking that we KNOW them personally. It's why celebrity culture and People magazine are so popular - our brains are tricked into thinking we have a personal connection with them. Imagine if you saw your favorite actor eating lunch at the table next to you - you would probably try to talk to them and tell them how much you enjoyed their movies - your brain is telling you that you know them and that you can talk to them just like someone you know in real life. But it's not real. And actors exploit the crap out of that psychological phenomenon.

There should be a law that says that any time an actor goes on tv as an individual asking for something, they should be required to say "you may have seen me on tv or the movies - but in real life I'm a complete stranger to you - you don't know me and I don't know you".
brew is offline   Reply With Quote