View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodaiga View Post
I have had this problem for a while and it quite annoying did all the regular steps and it is now intermittent. My system is supercharged though so it is more complicated, I believe it has an oil based k and n filter. Should I try a dry based one on the list of possible problems? Am also looking into getting a smoke test for any vacuum leaks I am not able to spot.
The oiled filters, when overoiled, foul the maf. If you can use a dry filter, you'll eliminate that as a possible issue...just spray your maf clean with maf cleaner after shifting to paper.

Lower intake boot is most common air leak...but there are many vac lines too. See under cabin air filter housing behind mani for some of the hidden ones too.

You can 'smoke' test diy by spraying carb cleaner around...you'll hear the engine rev a bit when you find a leak sight...it'll suck the cleaner into the intake...might help you isolate possible location before tearing stuff apart.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote