Thread: 2004 smg
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #22
0asis2007

My Ride: 2004 BMW E46 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballerbrian4u View Post
I have done the soft reset many time. It did not help.
The SMG soft reset won't really help the "shudder from standstill" problem. Yours is a clutch-related issue, not an SMG gearbox-related issue as such.

Quote:
This only happens when the car is fully warmed up. When it's cold the car is perfect. Where can I get the clutch software?
I'm UK-based, so couldn't really advise where you can get the software locally. I'm sure a US-based forum member will be able to tell you where best to source this software. The software you need is something like INPA, NCIS, DIS, etc.
But a clutch recalibration is something best left to someone who has some knowledge of what they're doing with the software. If you're new to it, there's a risk of messing things up.....

Quote:
Do I go to the dealer to get the clutch recalibration software? How much dose it cost?
No, the dealer won't sell it to you. As I said above, source it locally. In the UK, you can pick up the software and necessary cable for around 30GBP.

Quote:
Why dose it only happen when the car is hot?
Not sure why this is, but someone else may know?

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I hope that when you change the clutch it will resolve the problem. Please let me know. Also how much dose it cost to get a new clutch? Can I get it resurfaced? Also is the clutch the only thing that needs to be replaced?
I honestly don't think a new clutch should be top of your list of solutions. Especially as your car is only 45k miles?!! Definitely try the above clutch recalibration first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidopolis View Post
have you replaced the salmon relay yet? I'd do that as a first step before doing much else... is the dash SMG COG light on? is the car throwing any codes?
As I said above, this fault has little/nothing to do with your SMG gearbox directly. So the relay, the SMG cog light, etc are irrelevant here.
It is a clutch calibration issue!

Hope this helps!

2004 M3 SMG
TiAg/Black
0asis2007 is offline   Reply With Quote