View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #68
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
PS I do think spending cuts and entitlement program reform will be necessary, if not in the manner and time frame proposed by the GOP.

I would certainly start with defense spending as being one of the most inefficient and wasteful, and this coming from someone who does want a strong, efficient defense and military. Social programs and spending are the model of restraint and efficiency as compared to many/most DOD programs. One need only look at the horrendously bloated and problem-ridden F35 program to get a sense of the waste and inefficiency permeating much of the defense establishment.

If we can't reasonably assure our national security on expenditures exceeding the next 10-20 countries COMBINED, then perhaps the answer is not to maintain or, much less, increase spending but rather, to do a very deep review and rethink of how we are approaching our defense and military needs (and what those needs actually are). Conservatives ask of a similarly stringent approach to social programs so why not apply like thinking to defense spending rather than giving the DOD a veritable open wallet.

As for social programs, such things as raising ages of eligibility and applying a very progressive means-testing would be good places to start. However, perhaps best for the Democrats to take a vigorous lead here.
+1

And privatizing SS. That is all.

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote