View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
It might come down to the dimensional tolerences of the injection molded parts. Here's a couple scenarios with possible outcomes:

Scenario 1:
The square yellow piece is in the upper range of it's size tolerence.
the flap's square hole is on the lower range of it's size tolerance.

This scenario creates a tight fit which may prevent the flap from ever jiggling and wearing down the inner surface of the flap/outer surface of the yellow arm

Scenario 2:
The square yellow piece is in the lower range of it's size tolerance (bordering on too small)
The flap's square hole is in the higer range of it's size tolerance (almost too big)

This scenario creates a situation in which there may be a small amount of play b/w the yellow piece and the flap, and the parts experience increased wear. The play will increase over time which will continue to increase the wear.

It could also come down to driving habits, but I think the above is possible.
The only scenario is the fact that it's two pieces of plastic out under force and tension that they simply cannot withstand over time. The shape is barely hexagonal at best and an incredibly poor choice for connecting two pieces together that are supposed to pivot on the same axis. Especially when the smaller (almost cylindrical) core is supposed to open and close a flap that is unde constant vacuum. A triangular shape or even square would've been better suited. But the kit supplied aluminum replacement with WAY tighter fit coupled with loc tite is sure to prove better. Paying a third the price for 10 times more durable parts is a sure win for me. Regardless of failure rate. I'd rather good something before it fails than after any day.

2002 BMW 330i

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Swapped M3 Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Locked/Loaded/Loud

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote