View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #49
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
I am sure with any amount of effort something like that can be replaced, however, not sure it would be worth the time and effort.

I have an old DISA floating around here somewhere. I recall that the diaphragm housing is snapped together around it entire perimeter and may be a bit difficult to take apart without damage.

There are some things that you just do not need to spend your time on in my opinion.

Things like water pumps, fuel pumps, DISA, AC compressors, fan motors, wiper motors, MAF's and such are just consumables and if you have a failure you either junkyard some of the items, but most are things you do not want failing on you again and my be labor intensive to replace, so just step up and replace it.

The thing with the DISA removal and installation is easy and it will not likely leave you stranded unless you have a catastrophic failure and rear pin ingestion. If you could get a cheap used DISA, it is easy enough to access, it would be worth the effort to go this route in my opinion. But it is hard to say for sure how good a used DISA may be and how long it may last.
Well according to prior posts, they last forever considering the amount that senior members have seen go by unaffected. Atleast so I was told a few hours ago. I myself find it fun and informative to fix things myself and to take things apart to see how it was engineered and if it could be improved on to fit my needs. I did just that. I left the parts alone that I felt satisfactory (Vacuum Pot), and replaced the parts I felt that were the opposite. I don't see what is so hard to understand about this.

I do believe that the pin issue is a bit overplayed as I find it hard for that to fall out; however, when removing my DISA, the pin did fall out on it's own. So that could be an actual concern.
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote