View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #29
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
DMAX, even if you were in 3rd on the highway, your temps should have still been a bit higher, HOWEVER, the thing that makes if hard for all of us to follow is if and when the DME has the thermostat heater activated??

I am guessing maybe INPA may be able to monitor this, BUT I am now trying to figure out of and when you can tell EARLY on if the stat is starting to soft fail?

Can you condemn the stat when the idle temps drop as low as 88C?? 86C?

Maybe more data points will help us determine when it is time to toss a new stat in the car. The unfortunate parts is these stats are not cheap and there are not many options that will give economic relief. Did find a suitable Stant stat for the M5 with the inner seal for under $20, when the inner seal from the dealer at discount is over $40 and the stat was about $50 as I recall?

The one thing I can say is you only seem to find the states have failed during the colder months and many times you end up freezing you backside off trying to swap a stat in the middle of Jan.

Ask me know I know!
Shanneba has posted before with details of DME specs. for controlling the stat, I know.

I think it hits dead center just below 80, though.

As far as my 80 degree temp when I was in third...I'm not concerned at all...after I shifted to fourth, the temp climbed right up.

The car thought I was racing, I think, and had stat fully open, and in watching the temp for many years, I know that in any ambient temp, when you are press the throttle hard (or maybe go over a certain rpm), the stat will open.

Colder temps and speed also combine to make the radiator pull off a lot of heat...it's impressive what it does!

Don't condemn your stat because you're at 86 degrees...not if you also sometimes hold steady at 92-95...at least that's what I'd guess.

Look for Shanneba in some thread with 'thermostat' or 'cooling' in the title.

HTH

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote