E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Angel eyes install problem

31K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  helenae46 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
i have a 2001 318i, and started installing the LED halos last night.
I followed the install guide from:

http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes_orionv2.html

finished every step apart from the last one, connecting the trigger into the ECU.
Problem: the wire in the ECU (supposedly Red/Yellow with white stripe), pictured below:

My ECU looks completely differently, and the cable is nowhere to be found:

Could anyone please let me know which cable to attach it to?
I took it to my mechanic/electrician and he couldnt find it either.

THANK YOU :)

See less See more
#6 ·
If they're Umnitza Orion V2's contact them and they should be able to tell you how to connect it on your car.

#7 ·
I guess the problem is this forum is mainly frequented by guys in the US of A where E46 318i was not an option. Having to rely on participants from England, Australia or South Africa for a useful response.

Umnitza may not even be able to answer for this reason, no experience with Angel Eye installs on 318i where that connector with the Red/White line/Yellow trace wire does not exist.

I am thinking of going behind the fuse box and picking up a trigger from the Radio fuse, F7, and secondary trigger from Interior Light Fuse, F49.

#8 · (Edited)
Well I bit the bullet and dived in to fit the angel eyes to my 318i tonight.

As others have found, the 318i does NOT have the Red/White line/Yellow trace wire that the 325i has to hook up your 'always on' DRLs. Neither does it have footwell lights to connect the secondary trigger to. :banghead:

On my RHD 318i, I popped the interior light to see what colour wire I needed and which side of the car it came down to the dashboard. Using a multimeter I found the Red/Blue line wire dropped from 12v to zero as the light faded. This was the wire I needed. It went down the LH pillar on my RHD car.

Next I removed the Glovebox and looking in behind I found the Red/Blue line wire that runs up to the Interior Light. This is the one to use for the secondary trigger allowing the Angel Eyes to fire up when you open the door or use your remote to unlock the car.

For the main trigger, I folded down the fusebox and clipped into the Violet radio wire from Fuse 7. (Any fuse from #4 to #15 will do as all of these are switched with the Accessory position). I ran these two wires into the ECU box (there is a half moon shaped hole from the back of the fusebox area into the ECU) and connected up the main trigger there and ran the other wire to the righthand side where the relay is mounted and connected to the secondary trigger wire.

Then it was only a matter of popping out the indicators, off with the trims and lenses and fitting the actual Angel Eyes and connecting everything up.

The wiring of the 325i makes the job so much easier than for a 318i, but hopefully this will help others wire in their Angel Eyes.

Enjoy :clap:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.