View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
M3N7AL

My Ride: E46 M3
Trouble With M3 In The Heat?

Car: E46 M3 2003 SMG Vert

Trouble: Last weekend it was 40+ degrees and i noticed the Oil Temp go to about 115-120 degrees celsius. I also noticed the Water Temp rise to the dot on the right. They then went down after a bit of cruising on the freeway. I was driving to a destination about 1.5hrs away.

I noticed when I turned the car off at the servo, the temperature was in the middle of both the Oil Temp & Water, when i got back to the car and turned it on, it had risen back to the same levels that i mentioned above. Then after a bit of driving it went down again.

I then noticed the Oil Temp & Water Temp issue to happen again today, it was about 37 degrees celsius, i had the aircon blaring and was driving for a while, then the SMG light came on and stayed on. Then the gears were going into neutral as i was driving. I took it to the mechanic who checked it and he said it was a sensor from the heat. Then i checked this: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=855810

In the book for the car it says that the car is fine to drive anywhere just as long as it's not in the blue or red zone. It says the temperature may rise and drop but as long as it's not in either of those zones it's ok.

So has anyone had any of these happen to them before?

1) Do i have a problem with my cooling system or am i over reacting and it's just the heat? Car goes into service and i will be doing a coolant flush/bleed. It's been 10 000k's since last service.

2) Is that link i posted what is the cause of my SMG problem?

Any info would be good, thanks guys.

Last edited by M3N7AL; 01-11-2013 at 09:20 AM.
M3N7AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.