View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #21
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Yate View Post
How about for someone that's never done this before so I'd be following instructions while doing the repair work. Also, can this be done with a simple jack one wheel at a time? I'm thinking about searching for afterhours mechanics vs. DIY but if I do it myself, then I'd have to make sure I have all the tools and extra parts in order. Do you think an afterhours mechanic (say from Craigslist) can do all four wheels (just pads and sensors, not rotors) for say 2 hours labor? Thanks again for the replies.
I was thinking shop procedure. Yes it can be done with a single jack one wheel at a time but I wouldn't do this job using your car's jack. Its too unsteady. You will need a trolley jack for safety reasons. I would also advise using an axle stand, or some bricks or a block of wood, as a backup to the jack just in case but its not essential. As for the actual pad changing you might conceivably make it half hour per wheel allowing for a more cautious approach and following instructions. You might even do front one day and the rear another day but you must do both fronts together and both rears together otherwise you will have uneven braking either side. So plan the job, check out the link below. The rears are the same process just smaller pads.

Last edited by RayPooley; 01-12-2013 at 03:31 AM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote