View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Why? Because that's how you drive a manual. The hand brake isn't just for parking. Its also there in case you get a bump from behind. It minimizes the chance of being shunted into the car in front or under the truck in front. You have to take a driving test to get a licence in the UK. If you ride the clutch or fail to apply the parking brake whenever the car is stationary, even in a traffic queue, you will fail your driving test. I don't know about the US but the differences between a manual and an automatic mean that you can't drive a manual on an automatic license in the UK. You have to take a more stringent test. I'm sure there are good reasons for this. The vast majority of cars in the UK are manual. In fact autos are deemed to be a bit wussy.
It really doesn't make any sense to use the handbrake over the foot brake when stopped unless you lack the skill to quickly transition from brake to throttle without rolling backwards.
Using the hand brake while driving stick is something you do in your first week of learning.