View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #59
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPinthe103 View Post
I defiantly agree you should be limiting your time with the clutch in and your foot on the clutch. If you are stopped even for small amounts of time you should pop it into neutral and use the brake. Then when starting up again clutch in and quickly put it back in first.

Also don't use the handbrake as the guy from the UK suggest, just keep your foot on the brake as that is the most efficient and strong hold for the vehicle on hills, in traffic, traveling at any miles per hour.

Less time the clutch is engaged... the less wear
Nonsense. All the time you have your foot on the foot brake your hydraulic seals are under extreme pressure. That's the master cylinder and caliper piston seals. When you are stationary? Your handbrake is purely mechanical and doesn't use the hydraulic braking system at all. Its a seperate system. Hydraulic brakes are for stopping the vehicle. The handbrake is for holding the vehicle. That's why its called the HOLDING brake. If it wasn't for the traffic lights and holdups it would take me 10 minutes to get to work. As it is it takes me 35 minutes. That's 25 minutes queuing at traffic lights. With my foot on the brake??? And my BRAKE LIGHTS blinding the poor sap behind me? B*llocks to that. Learn to drive dude. Your the type of person I get stuck behind squinting and end up shouting GET YOUR F*CKIN FOOT OFF THE BRAKE D*CKHEAD!!

Last edited by RayPooley; 01-16-2013 at 12:28 PM.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote