View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #30
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I've tried several magnifiers, and the Aimpoint is among the best I've used in terms of both optical qulity and outright durability. Several of the accessory brands like Mako have pretty poor optical quality. I have not tried the Vortex though. I currently have an Aimpoint and it's very high quality. Regardless of what you decide, 3x is about the max that you can go with those sights for magnification. Some companies have made up to 7x, but the optical quality on them is pretty poor. Auxiliary magnifiers have a small exit pupil and a small objective lens, so if you increase magnification, light transmission will go down and the sight picture will get dark and lose resolution and color.

Magnifiers are a mixed bag. They're excellent for prepared shots or precision shots. When you're shooting quickly from a combat position, like standing or kneeling, at ranges of 25-50yds, using a magnifier will slow you down. It causes you to linger on target longer waiting for that perfect shot, instead of utilizing your first best sight picture. There are ups and downs to having a magnifier. Also, weight is an issue.

Below is a picture of my current 11.5" SBR with an M4S in a LaRue QD mount, with an Aimpoint 3x magnifier behind it in a LaRue FTS mount. This adds a LOT of weight to the rifle. I don't know the exact weight, but it's probably between 1-1.5lbs. Weight does make a difference.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote