View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
10/40 can't be LL-01. I'd read Castrol added more LL-01s in its lineup, but don't think it's 10/40.

Just be careful people, 'Castrol' doesn't mean you can use it in your car, and you shouldn't just buy it by the two numbers...read the label and if it doesn't say "approved: BMW LL-01" you should keep looking. Although some oils might be fine, that designation assures you it is. Many oils degrade far too quickly, it seems, and won't protect your engine like you want it protected.
Dmax, the Castrol Edge for sale at Advance has a list of manufacturers' whose specifications it meets on the back of the container. Some of them still have "European Formula" on the front. I know for sure that 0-30, 5-30, 0-40 and 5-40 had the BMW LL01 listing. There were other weights - 10-50, 10-40 - that I did not check for the LL01 listing because I was not considering buying. You may be right in saying those other weights do not meet the BMW specs. I am going back to the store today to pick up some parts I ordered and I will check if the others do meet LL01.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote