View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #54
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Sure, I can understand that. But you don't think, upon discovery, that a person should be required to report a missing or stolen gun?
NO. Is it responsible to do so? Maybe
There are cases where I might not want to report it. What if someone stole my gun (or anything else) and told me he knows where I live, where my kids go to school and what my 5 year looks like. If I report it stolen, he'll kill her.
I absolutely wouldn't report it.

Most cases you'd want to report it, but other you might not. Let's make it a crime for women to not report they were raped. I mean... reporting rape is "common sense" right? Reporting it can lead to capture of the rapist?
Let's punish women that are raped for failure to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
That's quite a stretch for a hypothetical. I know farmers. Texas ones that I'm related to. They have guns. They lock them up.They don't causally leave them lying around the farm like lawn ornaments.
OK, that is ONE example. When a law is create it needs to take into consideration the population as a whole. Millions of gun owners are responsible and have no need or legal requirement to lock up their weapons.
That being said... Am I that crazy to assume that safes can be broken in to?

Quote:
how so?
Shall not be infringed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
1) they should be required to be locked and secured
That makes them completely useless
2) if they are stolen, you should be required to report them so within a reasonable amount of time
How much time? What if I don't notice in time? I'm a criminal? What if I'm in the Bahamas for 5 weeks on vacation and not home? Criminal?
3) the penalties for people even possessing guns illegally should be much stricter. 10 years no questions asked if you possess an illegal gun whether you use it or not
Agreed (but we need to better define what makes a person prohibited)
4) are you upset about having to register your car? is that an infringement?
Car ownership is not a right
Quote:
I'm sure your worst case scenario may pop up from time to time if all legal gun acquisitions were registered. Our legal system is flawed. But registering all gun sales would certainly put a dent in guns finding their way to the streets illegally. And one can only surmise that fewer illegal guns would result in fewer homicides.
"my" worst case scenario? Read a history book

Registering guns has and will never make any positive impact in crime reduction. It will do nothing to guns "getting on the street" as ridiculous as that term is. Again.... there is no such thing as an illegal gun. It does not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
if your gun is stolen, you have failed as a responsible gun owner. it is your absolute duty as a responsible gun owner to report a gun as stolen.
disagree. Again, punishing the victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-18-2013 at 11:43 AM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote