Old 01-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #66
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Reagan was a in support of a gun ban:

Ford, Carter, Reagan Push for Gun Ban
In their letter, the three former presidents said: "This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety. . . . Although assault weapons account for less than 1% of the guns in circulation, they account for nearly 10% of the guns traced to crime. . . .
"While we recognize that assault-weapon legislation will not stop all assault-weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals.
"We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons."
Need more?
Congressman Scott Klug, a Republican from Wisconsin was an opponent of the assault weapon ban and the day before the vote stated his opposition to the ban. Klug only changed his voted after "a last minute plea from President Reagan" in the form of a handwritten note.
"Dear Scott: As a longtime gun owner and supporter of the right to bear arms, I, too, have carefully thought about this issue. I am convinced that the limitations imposed in this bill are absolutely necessary," Reagan wrote Klug. "I know there is heavy pressure on you to go the other way, but I strongly urge you to join me in supporting this bill. It must be passed. Sincerely, Ronald Reagan." http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...ising-details/
A few things. First, they point to weapons like a TEC 9, which is neither a military style weapon, nor is it an assault weapon. They come in two flavors, and one is illegal without NFA approval. Second, those numbers a skewed. The actual numbers are less than 3.6% used in crime, and there are some odd millions of ARs in circulation.

Third, the letter was written by another person, and the names placed on it. It is quite clear, especially considering Reagan was diagnosed later that year, your source even states that.
Fourth... The Blaze???

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote