View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Tom///

My Ride: 95 M3 RIP, tpz 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
I'll respond to the things I know...

Back seat: E82 1 Series backseat size is just big enough that it shouldn't be classified a 2+2. It is most definitely smaller than the E46s back seat and MUCH smaller than the E92s (which is downright comfortable if you're 6' 2" or less).

The 135 is a very fun car to drive- but not in the same way an M3 is. Have you driven both? What makes the 1 fun is that it's small. It isn't as precise as the M3 (in 135i guise) and it understeers a lot more than the M3 (E46 or E92).

A 135i owner on here says he's getting rid of his at 80k because the turbos go bad around that time. I know they can fail at higher mileages. If they have been replaced or the car is CPO it's not as big of a concern... IIRC the parts can be had for around $1400 but it is not a fun job to DIY...

The E92 is an imprecise car and it is also big if you really like tearing up the twisties, so I see where you're coming from there...

Having said all that- have you considered a used E90/92 M3? They are the most reliable cars of that whole generation hands down. The M3 is lighter than the 335i, and has things like an Aluminum rear subframe, LSD, and thousands of dollars worth of upgraded suspension components that can cause a handling-driven 335i owner to weep. The suspension differences between the E90/92 non-Ms and M3 is much bigger than the difference between the E46 M3 and non-M.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the comments. Right now before I go around test driving cars and dealing with sales people I want to get some ideas of how it will compare to what I have now etc..

The back seat thing is a bummer. Me and two buddies went to vegas in my coupe and it was comfy in the back and I am 6'2" My other friend 6'87" not so much.

The 80k mile car I have seen is 18ish but it is an 09 so if it they are highway miles it seems it would be less stress on the turbos.

An m3 is great I am sure, but the gas mileage and price tag is too much for me right now.

Sounds like the auto would suck, so that makes finding a car even more difficult unfortunatly.

Tom

Last edited by Tom///; 01-20-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: 64
Tom/// is offline   Reply With Quote