View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
ribeye with sauteed brussel sprouts, baby portos and red onions(PICS)

I have two ways that i cook steaks mainly... one is the caveman style where you just put natural wood charcoal in a hole in the ground and let it burn down to ashes and fan the top grey off... then throw the steaks directly onto the coals for a couple min on each side... you should try it.

the second is to salt the steak heavily and then let it rest for at least 2 hours...

i will first explain what happens when you salt a steak...

Immediately after salting the salt rests on the surface of the meat, undissolved. All the steak's juices are still inside the muscle fibers. Searing at this stage results in a clean, hard sear.
Within 3 or 4 minutes the salt, through the process of osmosis, will begin to draw out liquid from the beef. This liquid beads up on the surface of the meat. Try to sear at this point and you waste valuable heat energy simply evaporating this large amount of pooled liquid. Your pan temperature drops, your sear is not as hard, and crust development and flavor-building Maillard browning reactions are inhibited.
Starting at around 10 to 15 minutes, the brine formed by the salt dissolving in the meat's juices will begin to break down the muscle structure of the beef, causing it to become much more absorptive. The brine begins to slowly work its way back into the meat.
By the end of 40 minutes, most of the liquid has been reabsorbed into the meat. A small degree of evaporation has also occurred, causing the meat to be ever so slightly more concentrated in flavor.

i still wait 2 hours to make sure all of the protien fibers within the meat are loose

you can even coat a thick steak in salt and put it on a rack over night. (even better than this)

see the water formation on top

i will flip my steak and let it rest back in the juices(moved steak for pic)

after it has sat for 2 hours with salt on it. wash the steak off in the sink and pat dry with paper towels.

wash your mushrooms and dry-VERY IMPORTANT-. quarter or half depending on size.

Julianne the red onions

now wash your brussel sprouts and boil them for about 3-5 min. if you add salt to the water it increases the boiling point of the water so your food will cook faster. wash them with cold water when you strain them out of the boiling water to stop the cooking process.

^^cut the brussel sprouts in half and put them on a paper towel to drain the water out. if you put the brussel sprouts in a pan without doing this, the water will run out and just steam whatever you are cooking instead of searing and sauteing it. you will not achieve that black sear color on them like i have in the pics (same goes for the mushrooms)

NOW WE COOK........continued in next post

xbox live: stopthisfall

Last edited by iwannagofast; 01-23-2013 at 03:12 PM.
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote