View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #49
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
im new here and i have a 99 323i with the circle thing under the hood.. i have no SES or any big problems so far (except airbag light on wc i just ignore) but i wanna buy a scanner for future use..

anyone can make a recommendation? i want it really cheap for starters like me..
Answer is simple.
BMW scanner 1.4 with a 20-pin to OBD adapter(because you have the round plug under the hood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim3Por911 View Post
As for code readers - no one mentioned Autoenginuity. Kind of pricey at $250 for the laptop app but comprehensive and GREAT support. For an additional $230 they sell the BMW expansion kit that will read chassis codes such as airbag and ABS that the OBD II sensors can't. True BMW 1.4.0 will do it for much less money. It's probably worth the risk for the average DIYer. If you're a hard core enthusiast though, think of the AutoEnginuity system as equivalent to the price of a pair of rear tires for an M3.
It is a wonderful software I heard, but BMW scanner 1.4(at least the replica) is a good portable program for starters. There is INPA, DIS, NCSexpert that can be setup for even cheaper, but are a chore to install and very dangerous to use if you dont know what you are doing.