View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #40
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
Unfortunately, I think you might be mistaken. Look what happened in illinois recently when the SCOTUS ruled on concealed carry. If you give them the authority to rule on that state decision, expect them to rule on this one too. The door has been opened for federal meddling in things that are reserved to the states. New York can make whatever gun laws it wants as long as it adheres to the state constitution. Feds have absolutely no authority on this whatsoever.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
Interesting cases to look at will be NRA vs Chicago and McDonald vs Chicago. It will interesting to see how NY argues their actions. However, Il has an interesting read on the subject of guns.
Quote:
SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS: Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
If the cases above could provide any insight the state of NY could get away with limitations as long as they don't prevent individuals from legally owning weapons (as was the case of McDonald vs. Chicago).

I do find the wording of Il Constitution be unique. What does that mean, "Subject only to the police power"?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote