View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
Jay Cartay

My Ride: Subaru Impreza STi
Hi guys, I'm new here and am about to pick up a 330cd on Sunday to replace my beloved Subaru.

I've been reading up on threads like this with interest but there's something about the http://www.bmdroid.co.nz/ build that I just don't get:

Why use the Grom interface when you could just use a cable to connect the tablet's 3.5mm output socket to a head unit's RCA inputs? Then you just use the channel on the stereo that's for the RCA input, rather than this method involving the CD Changer channel. It's possible I'm totally missing something here, hence my asking!

I'm planning to install one myself with such a cable. I'm debating a signal booster between the tablet and head unit, but not made my mind up yet.

For my intended install, I'm toying with relocating the head unit's fascia panel to the glovebox or somewhere else to retain some of the head unit's functions. I'll install a 4G wifi modem in the car to provide both the tablet and passengers with wifi access and will hook it up with a USB socket around the ashtray area. The socket will be cabled to the tablet's micro USB. This will allow me to easily hook up a laptop if I want to move any media on or off the tablet's storage and it means I can let the battery charge down a bit sometimes, which is essential for its health._nr_
Jay Cartay is offline   Reply With Quote