View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #32
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
I have no dog in this fight. If a woman can pass the same tests as a man thers is no logical reason to deny her a position based on the same. If someone can reach X standard it should not matter what color they are, what sex they are, etc.

Again, if they decide there are different standards for women I would assume (but not know) that there could be safety issues. Would you prefer lower standards for black doctors? Women lawyers?
Oh I agree with you, a standard is a standard. However, part of the debate is that men are physically better equipped to handle certain exercises than women. That said, I read on the Marine Corps Times that the DOD is allowing the services the time to conduct studies and an analysis to look into gender neutral exercises, something both men and women can do without an unfair advantage towards men. One that comes to mind is pull ups. But I think now the Marines have changed their policy and women Marines who did arm hangs previously are now required to do pull ups - but perhaps not required to do them to the same max/min scale (not sure).