View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
See below... I sent the standard Ruger Firearms "auto" e-mail for my dad. I got the following reply from an IL Rep:

Joe Sosnowski - Illinois State Representative

Dear TSR6's Father,
Thank you for contacting my office regarding concealed carry. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to you concerning this matter.

We are all saddened by the unconscionable events that took place at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. As a result of this terrible tragedy, the families of the victims are certainly in my thoughts as they work through the anguish that accompanies the sudden and violent loss of a loved one.

The devastating effect of gun violence is on the minds of many Americans, but most would still agree that law abiding gun owners would personally like to prevent all tragedies; however it is impossible to safeguard against every possible violent action. I do not agree that more gun laws or restrictions are the answer to preventing violent crimes; however, improving our background check process is a well-intentioned move towards keeping firearms out of the hands of mentally unstable individuals.

The Illinois Courts have ruled recently that the Second Amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside of the home as inside. The court has determined that the state legislature has 180 days to craft a responsible proposal that meets constitutional muster regarding an individual's right to bear arms. I am pleased the courts are forcing this discussion onto the legislative leaders who for many years have tried to prevent reasonable concealed carry language.

I believe House Bill 148 provides a worthy model for concealed carry regulations and qualifications. In addition, I do not support the 97th General Assembly bills HB1263 or HB815. In addition, I do not support the more recent 98th General Assembly's SB42 or any assault weapons ban on law abiding citizens.

I appreciate you sharing your ideas about how to make Illinois concealed carry law effective and efficient. Please know I am a strong proponent of our 2nd Amendment Right to conceal and carry, and I believe rights should be afforded to responsible law abiding gun owners.

I look forward to hearing from you again with regard to this or any future legislative concern you may have.Sincerely,

Joe Sosnowski
State Representative
District 69